Over the next few weeks, Congress will focus its attention toward appropriations for the next fiscal year. The appropriations process is a D.C. term for “spending money we don’t have”. This week we’re voting on nearly $1 trillion in discretionary spending, even though Democrats still haven’t submitted a budget for 2020. How can we possibly hope to balance a budget that doesn’t exist?
Once again, Democrats have chosen to put forward a massive appropriations package that increases the deficit, contains dozens of unacceptable liberal policies, and has no chance of being signed into law. This bill:
- Was created without bipartisan negotiated spending limits. These spending levels would cause sequestration and create disastrous consequences for our military.
- Includes provisions that would prohibit funding to secure our border.
- Does not include a prohibition on releasing detainees from Guantanamo Bay.
- Uses taxpayer dollars to pay lawyers for illegal aliens crossing the border.
- Increases funding for the EPA by 8%.
- Fails to include key regulatory relief for livestock producers and sportsmen.
Democrats are refusing to cooperate with the president for political reasons. In order to deny President Trump a perceived victory, they are obstructing rather than legislating. As a result, they’ve created an out-of-control spending package full of radical ideas. I am voting NO on this reckless appropriations bill.